Right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale


Thursday, July 30, 2009

Orphanage

Today was a beautiful day. One of the guys in our group knows a family that is adopting a couple little kids from an orphanage not too far from Accra, so a few of us went there today to see all the little ones. They were so cute. As soon as we arrived, the kids ran up to the van and started singing, "Welcome, welcome...." it was so cute. We were greeted with about 50 kids hugging us as we stepped off the bus. They were all ages. A few still in diapers and not walking, a few toddlers, a few kids, and a few teenagers. They were all so excited to see us and to hold our hands and play with us.
Sarah and I had our nails painted, and one of the little girls saw them and wanted to have hers done so badly. Luckily, Sarah had brought with her a bag of nail polish that she was planning on giving to the orphanage. The kids were freaking out. We painted ALL of their finger nails, and toe nails, no matter what gender they were. Even the 16 year old boys wanted their finger nails painted. It was hilarious. At any given time, I would have at least 10 kids around me putting their hands in my face for me to start painting. When all the hands were painted, they kept saying, "my leg, my leg" and pointed to their toe nails. So we started painting those as well. They would stick their cute little dirty feet on my lap and I would paint away, and they would gasp and giggle at the color. It was so fun.
After nail painting, we pulled out the face paints and painted all the kids hands, faces, and whatever else they wanted. They were LOVING it! Then we played with sidewalk chalk, and jump ropes, and soccer balls. They all wanted to be touching us, sitting on us, hugging us, anything to feel our love. It was precious. So sad though. The little ones were so tiny, and you could tell just by looking at them that they are malnourished and lonely. I am so glad thatI got the opportunity to go though. The kids loved having us there, and I could tell that they needed some affection and love. It was heartbreaking to know that most of these kids will never be adopted, and that they will end up on the street in a few years. I wanted to take all of them home with me. I wish there was more I could do, but I know that love can leap mountains. I am just glad that I could do something.

2 comments:

  1. Carlie, you girls are making my heart stretch and stretch. My sister-in-law just phoned and said "I'm not sure if I want Anne Marie to come home because her blog inspires me every day!" I love looking at yours, too. This is just so sweet to read about! You must feel as you will burst at times. I will check back for your photos. I KNOW you must have a photo of the nails painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlie! Sounds like SO much fun!! I can't wait to see the pictures. Can't believe you're coming home so soon!

    ReplyDelete