Right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale


Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Field Day

Pictures won't post today...:( So sad. I will get them up as soon as I can.

Today was our last day in school. It was so sad, but we all planned a bunch of games for the kids, kind of like a field day. It was absolute chaos. We had a few different stations: water balloon toss, jump rope, relay races, soccer, drawing a mural, and dancing. There was about 600 ish kids there. It was a mess. There was no order to the madness which made it worse. Jordyn and I were in charge of the water balloon toss, and it was really good for about 3 minutes. Once we started passing out the balloon it turned into one huge mess. I was throwing kids away from the buckets right and left and yelling, "NO, NO, NO! Stop!" It was crazy. Finally, we just gave up and decided to let them have at it until they were gone. So, needless to say, balloon toss lasted for a total of about 10 minutes. At least they loved it!
After that, I went to join another group, but couldn't find one that needed help, so I just started playing with a soccer ball. Soon enough, there were kids everywhere and we were playing a little game of soccer with eachother. It was so much fun. The kids were loving just being out and playing with us. I was constantly being crowded with little ones grabbing my hands, my arms, my waist, anything. It was so cute. I loved it.
After we had finished our portion of field day, they had a little performance for us. They brought out beautiful African dresses that they had made for each of us, and dancd and drummed and chanted as only they can do. It was amazing. Even the kindergarteners performed a little dance. It was too cute. They performed for us for about an hour and then it was time to say our goodbye's. It was so sad, and my heart was full of emotion as I was saying goodbye. I wanted to say, "See you later" but I know that I will not see them later. I know that that will probably be the last time I will ever see them again. They were so sweet, and all of them gave me a hug goodbye. They all asked when we would come back, and it was so hard to tell them that we wouldn't be back. It seemed to me that they also got a little emotional once they realized that we wouldn't be back to see them, that this was the last time they would ever see us. It was a bit rough, but hopefully something we taught them will stick and they will be able to grow and become something some day.
We also finished up with the girl guides and boy scouts today. They are such a bright bunch of kids that we finished up all the AIDS lessons on Monday, so today we just taught some general health classes. The kids are so great. They loved the lessons we taught, and it was so fun to teach them. After we were donetheir leader came up to Lynley and said that next time we should coordinate better so that we can train them to be teachers of the AIDS lessons like she had taught him. She kinda took a step back and was wondering what he was taking about and then he told her that 5 years ago when she came she trained him how to be a peer educator in the community about AIDS and HIV. It was so cool to hear, because he has taught this group of girls and boys so well. When she complimented him on it, he said, "thank you, I have had to work very hard to get to where I am." It was a great inspiration to all of us, because it just goes to show how far one person can go. These kids will be able to teach and influence many people, just because of this one man. It gave me hope.
I can't believe that I am so close to coming home. All the rest of our days here are free days and I know they will fly by, and soon enough I will be back in America. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

3 comments:

  1. That was cute Carlie. It's fun to see what you "see", even though we're there at the same time, same place, etc. With I could have seen those water balloons. Too crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids LOVE water balloons!! I'm glad your last day at school was good(even if it was a bit crazy hehe) It sounds like you've had quite an impact on those little angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience. The last pictures of the kids were so cute and innocent. I am sure that you have made more of an impact then you realize. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete