Right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale


Monday, July 26, 2010

In our own backyard

This Pioneer Day, Dan had the day off!! It was a wonderful day. First of all, he let me sleep in, and by the time I woke up he had the kitchen cleaned, the floors mopped, the rugs washed and the family room cleaned. Ahhhh....what a wonderful feeling. We decided that since we don't usually get to do a lot of hiking due to him never being home on Saturdays, that we would take advantage of the beauty in our own backyard...so we headed to Provo Canyon.
We did the Steward Falls hike, which was great. We took Chloe along with us, and she absolutely loved it. The hike was really good. Not too hard, not too easy, and lots of shade made it not too hot. MMM HMM. The trail was pretty dusty, and this is what our feet looked like by the time we got to the falls.
Dan and his baby. Seriously. He treats her like she is a baby. Sometimes I have to remind him that she is a dog.

Ok: Story time. Dan can't stand to not do everything when we go somewhere. He needed to run through these freezing cold falls, and he needed to take Chloe with him. He just did. He couldn't stand not doing it. So this is the process: Waiting to go through...Realizing Chloe is shocked from the cold and stopping to pick her up and carry her through...Grabbing her and making a run for it because it is breathtakingly cold...Poor, wet, rat looking Chloe....

Ok, my story. I didn't want to run through the falls because they were cold, and I was feeling great just playing in the water and feeling the mist. But of course, Dan likes a challenge and he dares me to do it. DARES me. Well, obviously I can't resist that. So I made a run for it.
It was a beautiful day. We had tons of fun hiking and being able to enjoy the great outdoors. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful place, with such great canyons and trails available to us so close. Love it. And of course we ended the day with the traditional bbq with great friends, and fireworks. A perfect end to a perfect day.

4 comments:

  1. I love story time. And I love Utah hikes. Your feet look like hairy man feet at first, then I realized it was dirt. Made me reminisce about Africa. Hm. Poor, wet, loved Chloe. WHy must Dan love her so much to torture her? Is this a love/hate relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know we don't take advantage of things "in our own backyard" nearly enough! looks like a fun hike!
    and your "little" garden does not look so little!! that is a pretty awesome garden you are growing! way to go!
    i got tired after getting our grass in that our garden has been put off this year...so hopefully next year, i will have something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blogs Carlie. Chole looks so funny all wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pic of the three of you with Chole perched on the sign. And the wet rat. So darn cute!

    ReplyDelete