Right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Peru Bound...

Ok friends, it's official! I am going to Peru. On Thursday, February 11, Lynley, the professor I went to Africa with invited Anne Marie and I to speak with her about the research we completed in Africa at a conference in Cusco, Peru.


Since we have been back from Africa, we have been working on publishing our findings. We really would like to present at a conference, and usually the rules are that if you want to present, you have to do it preceding publication. (Crazy, I know) We could present at any health conference, but when this opportunity came up, we couldn't let it pass. So, we are off to Peru. I don't have all the details yet, but as far as I understand, we will be presenting on our findings of HIV/AIDS, how to prevent, change lifestyles, and provide information regarding myths associated with HIV/AIDS. We will also be speaking on health literacy, and just general preventative care practices. I am so excited. We leave March 20, and will be gone for 8 days. (I get to spend my 22 birthday in Peru).
We will be speaking for 2 days, and when we are not speaking, we will be providing humanitarian aid for the people. I am so happy to be able to help. Ever since coming back from Africa, my heart has been aching for something more I can do. Recently, there has been some major flooding, so we will be helping build, paint and clean up the damage. It will be a wonderful experience.
The last two days of the trip will be spent in a small village at the base of Machu Picchu. If the flood damage is taken care of, we will be able to hike Machu Picchu as well as the larger mountain next to it, though at this moment, it's name escapes my mind. Our flight leaves quite late on Sunday the 28th, so we will spend the last day touring around Lima, Peru's capital, shopping and seeing the sights. I feel so blessed to have yet another opportunity to serve and further my experience in the health field. I have been given some great opportunities to serve others, as well as gain an education and understanding of what the world is really like outside my protected, safe bubble. The Lord works in mysterious ways in my life. He seems to place opportunities in my lap and say, this would be great for you, take it or leave it. I hope I will always be able to take those opportunites and make them the greatest they can be. Life is crazy, and there isn't room for "should haves" "would haves" "might have beens" and "if onlys" I feel so blessed to be in a place in my life where these words don't apply, and even more blessed to have a husband who supports me in every decision and opportunity I get. He is truly the best man in the world!!

9 comments:

  1. take lots of pictures!!! i'm so excited for you car!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how awesome!!!! what a cool opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me?! This is the coolest thing I've heard all day! CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an amazing thing--both this and the Africa experience.
    You are cool. That's why I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! What a little career woman you are :)

    p.s. maybe you could fit me in your carry on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that you provided details in my mind about what WE will be doing. Ahh! And I especially loved your last paragraph. So sweet and true~ Feel exactly the same way (except for the husband part)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so great! i am so happy for you! can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Hiking Machu Picchu is on my bucket list! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it bad that the thing that stands out in all of this is that you are only 21. I always think you are older than you are. That sounds like a blast. I am sure you will love it.

    ReplyDelete